Apple Watch Series 3 Brings Built-in Cellular, Powerful New Health & Fitness Enhancements
Apple today introduced Apple Watch Series 3, adding built-in cellular to the world’s number one watch. Whether users are out for a run, at the pool or just trying to be more active throughout their day, Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular allows them to stay connected, make calls, receive texts and more, even without iPhone nearby. The third-generation Apple Watch is an amazing health and fitness companion with intelligent coaching features, water resistance 50 meters1 and a new barometric altimeter that measures relative elevation. Apple Watch Series 3 comes in two models, one with GPS and cellular connectivity, and one with GPS, both featuring a 70 percent faster dual-core processor and new wireless chip.“We believe the addition of cellular connectivity will transform the way people use Apple Watch, providing a new sense of freedom since they can stay connected with or without their iPhone,” said Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer. “Apple Watch Series 3 combined with the power of watchOS 4 is the ultimate device for a healthy life.”
Soon, the combination of cellular and watchOS 4 will allow Apple Music users to stream 40 million songs right from their wrist. Beginning Friday, September 15, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) will be available to order in 10 countries and territories, and Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available to order in 28 countries and territories. Both models are available in stores starting Friday, September 22.
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) features a full 4G LTE and UMTS cellular radio that switches seamlessly to cellular when it is away from iPhone. The watch shares the same number as iPhone so there’s no need to provide an additional number to family, friends or colleagues; and to help get customers started, participating carriers are also offering special introductory cellular plans at launch. Customers have the ability to make cellular calls directly with Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and, when paired with AirPods, enjoy a seamless and fully wireless experience. Apple also pioneered an industry-first antenna design that uses the display itself as both a transmitting and receiving element for 4G LTE and UMTS, while introducing a built-in eSIM that is over one-hundredth the size of a traditional SIM card, making over-the-air activation possible without compromising space. (2)
Powering Apple Watch Series 3 is the S3, Apple’s third-generation architecture featuring a faster dual-core processor, which allows for quicker app launch times and smoother graphics, and, for the first time, enables Siri to speak using the built-in speaker. Apple designed a new custom wireless chip called W2, making Wi-Fi 85 per cent faster and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi 50 per cent more power efficient, while still providing all-day battery life and keeping the size virtually the same as before. Apple Watch Series 3 also features a barometric altimeter that assists with tracking activity, flights climbed and outdoor workouts, including elevation gain.
watchOS 4 features an updated Heart Rate app, giving even more insight to heart rate, including measurements during resting, workout, recovery, walking and Breathe sessions. Customers can also choose to receive a notification when their heart rate is elevated above a specific threshold while inactive. Other great watchOS 4 features include the proactive Siri watch face that displays the information users need most throughout the day, an enhanced Workout app with new interface, custom High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout type and auto-sets for pool swims. With GymKit, users will soon enjoy the ability to connect to their favourite cardio equipment and experience two-way synchronisation of data with just a tap, resulting in the most accurate information possible. (3)
The redesigned Music app experience automatically syncs playlists like New Music Mix and Favourites Mix, along with the user’s most listened to music. Later this year, Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) will stream music, giving users access to any song from Apple Music, straight from the wrist. The new Radio app also enables listeners to access Beats 1 live or any Apple Music radio station while away from iPhone or Wi-Fi.
Apple Watch Line-up
Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) starts at £399 in UK and Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) starts at 369 € (España), both featuring new upgrades like a faster dual-core processor and wireless chip, along with a barometric altimeter. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) also debuts a special red Digital Crown and exclusive “Explorer” watch face that shows cellular connectivity through a unique design. Series 1 will be available at a new starting price of 269 € (España), making it more affordable than ever.
In addition to silver or space grey aluminium, Apple Watch Series 3 now comes in a gorgeous new gold aluminium, along with silver or space black stainless steel cases, which all pair with a stunning assortment of new band colours and styles. The Woven Nylon is updated with a new pattern and the incredibly lightweight Sport Loop effortlessly adjusts to fit wrists with unparalleled comfort. Apple Watch Edition expands to include a beautiful dark grey ceramic case that pairs with a new two-toned Sport Band.
Apple Watch Nike+ has been extremely popular, and this fall, the partnership continues with both models of Series 3 pairing with a new pure platinum/black Nike Sport Band or Sport Loop in exclusive colours. The Nike Run Club app has been updated to introduce new exciting features: Audio-Guided Runs deliver world-class coaching and motivation from Nike’s elite coaches, athletes and entertainers, while the Cheers feature makes running more fun by allowing your friends to send audio-based cheers, which will motivate you during a run. Just Do It Sundays continues to provide inspiration and rewards from participation in the world’s largest running community. Apple Watch Hermès models come with built-in cellular and pair with a striking collection of new bands, including the Single Tour Rallye, in perforated Gala calfskin, inspired by the classic Hermès driving glove and the Single Tour Eperon d’Or, in printed Gala calfskin, inspired by the equestrian scarf pattern designed by Henri d’Origny in 1974. A new watch face, inspired by the Carrick Hermès watch, also designed by Henri d’Origny in 1993, completes the existing selection of Hermès watch faces.
Pricing & Availability
– Apple Watch is available in two different case sizes, 38mm and 42mm. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) will be available in gold, silver or space grey aluminium, or silver or space black stainless steel paired with a variety of bands (4). Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available in gold, silver or space grey aluminium cases with a Sport Band starting at €369. Apple Watch Series 1 is available in silver or space grey aluminium cases paired with a Sport Band starting at just €269. Select models will be available from apple.com and Apple Stores, as well as select Apple Authorised Resellers and carriers (prices may vary). For local availability, visit locate.apple.com. Apple Watch Nike+ starts at €369 (prices may vary). Prices include VAT.
– Customers will be able to order Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) and Apple Watch Edition, beginning Friday, September 15, with availability beginning Friday, September 22 in the UK, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Puerto Rico, Switzerland and the US, with other countries following next year. For carrier availability, visit apple.com/watch/cellular.
– Customers will be able to order Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) beginning Friday, September 15, with availability beginning Friday, September 22 in the UK, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, the US and US Virgin Islands. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available beginning Saturday, September 23 in UAE.
– Apple Watch Series 1 is available on apple.com and anywhere Apple Watch is sold.
– Apple Watch Nike+ will be available to order on apple.com beginning Friday, September 15, with limited availability on Thursday, October 5 in the UK, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Macau, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UAE and the US. For more information, visit apple.com/apple-watch-nike or nike.com/applewatch.
– Apple Watch Hermès will be available to order on hermes.com/applewatchhermes beginning Friday, September 15, with availability beginning Friday, September 22 in the UK, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, the UK and the US. For more information, visit apple.com/apple-watch-hermes or hermes.com/applewatchhermes.
– Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available beginning Friday, September 29 in Croatia, Czech Republic, Greece, Guam, Hungary, Iceland, India, Jersey, Macau, Monaco, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Thailand and Turkey.
– Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) will be available beginning Saturday, September 30 in Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
– New Apple Watch bands are available today on apple.com/uk and will be available soon at Apple Stores, as well as select Apple Authorised Resellers and carriers in the UK, the US and over 35 countries and regions, including Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UAE.
– Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) requires iPhone 6 or later running iOS 11 or later and Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) requires iPhone 5S or later running iOS 11 or later. Some features are not available in all regions or all languages.
– Customers who buy Apple Watch from Apple will be offered free Personal Setup in-store or online (4) to help set up and personalise their new Apple Watch with calendars, notifications, apps and more.
– Anyone who wants to start with the basics or go further with their new Apple Watch can sign up for free Today at Apple sessions at apple.com/uk/today.
1 Apple Watch Series 3 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 3 should not be used for scuba diving, waterskiing or other activities involving high-velocity water or submersion below shallow depth. Stainless steel and leather bands are not water resistant.
2 Apple Watch and iPhone service provider must be the same. Not available with all service providers. Roaming is not available outside your carrier network coverage area. Wireless service plan required for cellular service. Contact your service provider for more details. Check apple.com/watch/cellular for participating wireless carriers and eligibility.
3 Participating equipment manufacturers and gyms vary.
4 In some countries.